January 1, 2010

365 Project: Day 67

Sometimes you just have to pause, take a deep breath, and let the beauty around you sink in. I had to do more than pause this time. I had to pull over and get out of the car. I couldn't enjoy this amazing sunset at 80 mph. I sat here for 20 minutes watching the sun sink into the horizon.




I have these little moments sometimes when the beauty in the world strikes me in a way that stops me in my tracks.  If you don't stop to take notice, you can miss everything. The glory of a sunset, the touch of a gentle breeze, the way a loved one looks at you when you're not paying attention, the sound of a wind chime in the distance, the warmth of the sun on your skin, the sweet smell of honey suckles and jasmine, the tickle of grass on your toes...it only takes a moment to miss these things. They are so easy to overlook if you're not paying attention. But it also only takes a moment to pause and take notice of these tiny little gifts that life gives us every day. In just being alive, we all have so much to be thankful for because we have the ability to enjoy these little things.

No one can take away the moments you cherish. They cost you nothing and they will only make your life more rich. So often we are living for the future. We need to be more present in our lives or they will pass us by while we are looking toward the next step. I am thankful for these little moments...they make me feel a connection to the world and the life that is continually happening all around us. The sun will still set every single day, whether we stop to admire it or not. I choose to stop.

No comments: