January 24, 2010

365 Project: Day 94

Art. Its my life. Its everything to me. There is nothing in this world that brings me more happiness than art, creativity, and self expression. Humans are so incredibly complex, and having the ability to express those complexities in a visual way just amazes me. I love that I can show people what I am feeling through my camera. Its such a freeing experience to spill myself out through a lens, or through a drawing or a painting. Yes, I also draw, and yes, I attempt to paint.

Art museums are some of my favorite places in the world. I fell in love with the Getty. I could spend days and days in there. But, the thing about me and museums, is that I like to go alone. That way I can take my time. I can browse, I can observe, I can really take in what I'm seeing. I often just bring along my iPod, put on my headphones and peruse the exhibits to the soundtrack of my choosing.  I hate being rushed by someone who maybe just isn't moved in the same way by a Jackson Pollack painting. I can sit in front of a Jackson Pollack for hours. I find his work so energizing. A lot of people don't get it, or just don't like it, and that's ok. But I absorb his work like a little sponge. The other reason I like to go alone, is because as much as I love art, I don't like to discuss it. I don't want to stand in front of a Monet and talk about color, composition, brush strokes. I just want to enjoy it. I want to take it all in without someone chattering away in my ear.

One of my favorite exhibits was an Andy Warhol exhibit I saw when I was living in San Jose. I always really loved Andy Warhol, as an artist and as a character. If you don't know anything about his life, it was fascinating. I highly recommend reading his biography. So, here is my little tribute to Pop Art.


No comments: