January 2, 2010

365 Project: Day 76

Its New Year's Eve and I've decided to stay home. I finally got back to Albuquerque this evening after being away for a week. I spent the drive home with my stereo cranked up, singing as loud as I could in my car. It was a relief to spend some time by myself. Tonight, I'm exhausted. I just want to be alone and I don't really feel like going out or drinking. I ate the homemade chicken and dumplings and cornbread that my mom sent me home with, had some coffee and stayed up working until 4:30 in the morning. I wished everyone Happy New Year via text message.

I've been going through this phase lately where I really enjoy spending time alone. I'm usually a very social person. I love going out, seeing my friends, meeting new people and chatting until the wee hours of the morning. But lately I'm tired. I'm tired of going to the same places and drinking the same Jack and Coke. I've never really been alone. I went from sharing a room with my sister and living in my parents' house to living in a dorm room with a roommate. After that I lived with two different boyfriends. My sister and I live together now, but I have my own room this time around.

I genuinely enjoy spending time with myself. This is the first time in my life where that has even been an option. People are put off by someone who likes to be alone. They find it strange. I think its a great thing to  be content hanging out with yourself.  I'm more put off by the person who can never stand to be alone. Starting off 2010 at home, doing what I love and focusing on myself was the perfect night for me. It was exactly what I needed after a week of traveling and holidays and family. I needed to recharge. I needed to be alone. I just needed quiet.

So, Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2010 brings you all happiness, health, and everything your hearts desire.

No comments: