January 1, 2010

365 Project: Day 70


Christmas Day. No, I did not get this miniature 4-Wheeler for Christmas. It belongs to my little cousins and they are actually selling it. I was trying to convince my dad to buy it for me, with no luck. But, I couldn't resist taking my picture with it.

My cousins are 9 and 7 years old and full of questions. They were standing outside watching me and asking why I was taking a picture of myself. I really gave them no clear reason aside from "just because." That seemed to do the trick. But I started thinking about it...why am I doing this project?




I had been thinking about starting this project for a long time. A couple of years. My photography was in a rut. I was looking for a way to get myself shooting and thinking creatively again. It was that simple really. But my reasons evolved as each day went by. My intentions were only to take a picture each day. That quickly changed and I began writing. I'm not sure why I started writing, but I was suddenly compelled to explain myself. The writing started slowly. Just a short sentence. A caption to go with the picture. It wasn't enough. Apparently I had more to say. Much more. So, I kept going and I'll keep going until I run out of words or I hit 365 days. Whichever comes first.

In the last 70 days, not only have my reasons for this project changed, I have changed. The way I look at my life has changed. It has given me purpose. It has provided me an outlet to express things I didn't even know I was thinking. I cannot tell you all how much this project and the people I've met because of it, have enriched my life. I have grown tremendously as a person. I am learning about myself every single day. I feel like I'm becoming acquainted with who I am as a person for the first time. Its incredibly overwhelming for me. I'm so glad that I get to share this experience with the world. And now...here come the tears.

To sum it all up, this project has been a great, humbling blessing for me. It rescued me in so many ways. Or I rescued myself through it. Either way, even if no one ever read the things I write, I would still continue. Its a huge bonus that I've been able to reach other people through this project. The response I've gotten has been incredible.

Now, how do you explain all of that to a 7 and a 9 year old? You say, *shrug* "I dunno. Just because."

No comments: