January 1, 2010

365 Project: Day 71

Today we drove to Mt Sylvan, TX to visit my grandfather's grave. He passed away on November 19, 2009. Today, December 26th, is also my other grandfather's birthday. He passed away on November 5, 2007. Its was a day to remember two incredibly important men in my life. I miss them both terribly.



On the way back to Port Arthur, we stopped at the Mt. Sylvan Coffee House and Mercantile. I fell in love with this place, and not just because they made me an excellent latte.

The woman who owned the coffee house was so incredibly friendly, sweet, and hospitable. I love when you meet someone who is a genuine, good person. I felt like I was in her home. She took the time to tell us all about her journey in opening this place. You could feel how much of herself she had invested in her dream. Its not often that you meet someone who is excited about what they are doing in the way that she was. It was inspiring.

We got the grand tour. The building was the original Masonic Lodge in the area and had been completely restored. She even reused parts of the original building in the restoration. The cabinet doors in the cafe were made of the original windows from the front of the building. She took us to the upstairs, which she may eventually open as a bed and breakfast. It was an amazing living area. There was also an incredible office upstairs. If I could close my eyes and picture my ideal workspace, this was it. Original hard wood floors, vaulted ceilings, and huge windows with the sun streaming in. The best part was the enormous wooden work bench. I wanted to work there! I would have moved in immediately if she had let me. We all left smiling and talking about how great it was.

It was so inspiring to meet a woman who had worked really hard and made her vision a reality. She had made her dream come true.  I look up to women like her, who have the courage to not just dream, but to dedicate themselves, take a risk, and see their dream to fruition.

No comments: