January 2, 2010

365 Project: Day 75

I had an awesome time shooting with my dad today. I tried to go shoot at an indoor range when I was living in California and they wouldn't let me because I wasn't licensed and they didn't have enough people available to supervise me. So here I am, in the middle of the desert, shooting at soda cans with my dad. Who needs a shooting range anyway? Not me apparently.
I shot two of my dad's pistols, a Beretta 3032 Tomcat and a Ruger 9mm (not pictured), and my grandfather's old Browning shotgun. The pistols were no problem, but that shotgun was really heavy and it hadn't been shot in about 40 years. I was a little worried that it would either knock me down or just explode. I kept having visions of that Red Rider BB Gun from A Christmas Story. "You'll shoot your eye out!" Luckily none of those things happened. 


I had shot pellet guns before, but never anything like this. I took a hunter safety course when I was younger, even though I would NEVER kill a living thing, but I've always been really interested in shooting. I just hadn't gotten the chance until today. I wasn't a terrible shot either. I actually hit several of those cans. Not too bad for my first time. Now I'm hooked! I loved it! Its been on my list of things to learn how to do for a long time. I will definitely go shooting again. I want to get better and the only way to do that is to practice. 


Now I can check that off my life list. Next on the list, I want to learn how to ride a horse. 

No comments: