December 16, 2009

365 Project: Day 61

Last night I had drinks with people I have known for at least 10 years. Conversations are different between people who know each other on that level. There's no need for small talk about the weather. You talk about things that matter and you care what they think. You can be really honest. I value the moments when you can have those sorts of conversations.

Amongst other things, we talked about regrets. I have no regrets. When I look back at the mistakes and bad decisions I've made, I am nothing but grateful for every one of them. Sure there are things I wish I hadn't done. But all of those things I wish I didn't do have made me the person I am today. And I like who I am. So how can I justify regretting those mistakes? When I think back on every stupid thing I've done, I just have to sigh, shake my head and laugh at myself because I know I would do it all over again in a second.



I know I have written this quote before, but I love it and I believe it and I live by it. Its on the bulletin board above my computer and I read it every day just in case I forget.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." --Unknown

I have lived purposefully, impulsively, honestly, whole heartedly and I have seized opportunities and I have given life everything I have so far.  The best part is, the journey has only begun. I am young. There is still so much time to make so many more bad decisions and I can't wait.

No comments: