December 1, 2009

365 Project: Day 42

While we were in Texas, my dad helped my Grandmother sort through my Grandfather's things. He spent days sorting through the garage. There where piles of tools, all sorts of old rusted things that didn't work anymore and who knows what else. That's also where my dad came across all the WWII supplies no one knew my Grandfather had.

Today was Black Friday and Mee Maw decided that she wanted a flat screen TV for the living room. The TV that I'm sitting on has been in their living room since my parents were dating in high school. Its still works, although the picture is slightly off and was a source of constant entertainment. We laughed about how everyone on the screen had short little legs and big stretched out heads. Plus, the picture was raised about 2 inches from the bottom of the screen so you could never the see the score of the football game. This was a problem. But they never got rid of it.


Today I helped my dad carry it out to the garage. I guess she's going to give it to Goodwill or something. Even though it wasn't perfect, it was sad to see it sitting in the garage. Unplugged, old, used up, and unwanted. The flat screen in her living room just doesn't look quite right. Its out of place in a house full of memories. Although I do understand the need for change and progress.

The picture on the screen was given to me by my Grandmother before we left to go back to New Mexico. It was found in a box of pictures that he had put away in the closet. She thought I should have it. Its a picture of Grandaddy holding me in their backyard. It was taken in 1983, the year I was born.

No comments: