December 10, 2009

365 Project: Day 55

Do you ever feel like the "universe" is trying to tell you something? I don't believe in coincidence. I don't believe that anything in this world happens accidentally. Everything happens for a reason. There is a lesson to be learned from every experience. I think its up to you to recognize those moments and grow from them. 


Every moment in your life, every person you meet, every choice you make is significant. Life is a series of cause and effect. One thing leads to another like a line of dominos toppling, each one causing the other to fall. Its simple logic to assume that if you make a choice, a series of events will follow. If you were to choose differently, a completely different sequence of things will happen. Its not just the effects of your choice that are important, the choice itself, no matter how simple it may seem, is a crossroads and whichever way you decide to go will determine what comes next in your life.





A series of events happened to me this week that made me think that I have an important lesson to learn. 


The post I wrote for Day 54 was supposed to be for Day 53 and everything got all screwed up. I even planned ahead and did the writing the night before. I was going to get up early to take my picture on the cliff to go along with it. When I woke up the next morning, the weather was terrible. I hadn't gotten any sleep. The screen on my cell phone had an error message so my alarm didn't go off and I didn't get up early enough to take the picture. I had to come up with another topic for Day 53.


I thought about it all day and decided to write about opportunity and doors opening, etc. I saved my previous writing to use for Day 54 and hoped the weather would be nice so I could take my picture to go along with it.


After I finished the replacement writing for Day 53, I was at my desk checking my email. There was a forwarded email from my grandmother. The subject line read "One of Life's Miracles". It was a story about a woman and a homeless man and how their lives had become intertwined. He had helped her years earlier when she was poor, hungry and about to be evicted, and now that he was homeless and she was in a better position, she came back to help him. At the end of the story the lesson to be learned was: 
"When God leads you to the edge of the cliff, trust Him fully and let go. Only 1 of 2 things will happen, either He'll catch you when you fall, or He'll teach you how to fly! God is going to shift things around for you today and let things work in your favor. If you believe, send it. If you don't believe, delete it. God closes doors no man can open; God opens doors no man can close. If you need God to open some doors for you...send this on."
Even though it was one of those stupid forwarded emails that get passed around the internet, I couldn't believe what I was reading. If you read Days 53 and 54, I wrote almost exactly the words from that email. I wrote about opening and closing doors and standing on the edge of a cliff, flying or falling and being brave enough to let go and know that something is there to catch you. I read the email again...and then again.


This series of events is the definition of a "coincidence" that was days in the making. My thoughts and my writing, the weather and my cell phone interfering with my picture, someone forwarding that email to my grandmother, who then forwarded it to me, and me opening it at that precise moment when those were the topics that I was questioning in my life. I believe it all happened for a reason. I feel like I'm supposed to be learning something from all this. Self doubt is my greatest enemy. I believe this was all telling me to stop worrying and hesitating so much. If I just let myself go everything will be fine. It was telling me that I have the strength to move forward, I just have to believe in myself and stop holding back. I can't explain it any better than that. 


Is that destiny? Is it fate? Is it a coincidence? It can't be, I don't believe in coincidence. Or is it simply "One of Life's Miracles"?

1 comment:

John David Tupper said...

I too feel that nothing happens for no purpose.

Thanks for keeping me and Chia company on our trip to SF. I was reading this and somehow you were a part of our journey.

Thanks,
JT