November 10, 2009

I'm back! 365 Project: Day 21

After a several days away for a family emergency and driving back and forth across Texas, I still managed to keep up with my 365 Project. I can't believe it.

Day 21:
This is how I felt. Like I had been hit by a truck.


I was so stressed the day before with the news of a family emergency and trying to cram a week's worth of work into one day, I was completely exhausted. I was only planning on being away a week but I didn't really know when I would be able to return home. So, I spent the day emailing customers, packaging orders, retouching images, cleaning the house, packing for the trip and running errands. I was even attacked and chased down the street by a deranged Chihuahua on my walk home from dropping off orders at the Post Office. It gave me a much needed laugh, but it was disturbing none the less.

I woke up in the morning and finished up a few last minute tasks and then set out on the 3 hour drive through the desert to my parents' house. By the time I got there I was mentally and emotionally exhausted. I don't take bad news well. It stresses me out to the point where I find myself running around doing unnecessary things just to busy my mind so I don't have to think about the reality of the situation. Like cleaning my kitchen will make everything better. If you ever catch me doing dishes in the middle of the night, you can bet something is wrong. But, sitting in a car for 3 hours with nothing to do and staring at the same scenery I've seen thousands of times on this drive, my mind had time to dwell on the fact that my grandfather is dying. And not only is he dying, he is suffering. So, stressed out, exhausted, worried, and devastated, I felt like I had been hit by a truck.

No comments: