November 15, 2009

365 Project: Day 32

This is the back corner of my parents' house. Our family built this house when I was 15. I remember every step of the process: from buying the land, to designing the layout and moving into our home when it was finished. I love that this house was a collaborative project. My sister and I were consulted on many of the details even though we were only 15 and 13 at the time.


My favorite part about this house is that it is secluded. It is far outside of town, we only have a handful of neighbors and they are all separated by several acres of land. You can walk outside this house and hear nothing but birds singing and crickets chirping. Our land is full of quail, bunnies, foxes and the occasional coyote.

I don't know if you can see the cloud of dust behind me, but while I was taking this picture our neighbor came galloping by on a horse. As a teenager in this house I spent a lot of time sitting outside on the porches and taking walks down the dirt road. Its always a place where I can find solitude and clear my head in the silence that surrounds it.

No comments: