November 30, 2009

365 Project: Day 36

** I'm back in town and I'm updating the last week of my 365 project as quickly as I can. I have a lot of work to catch up on. **

I feel like I haven't been home for more than a few days all month. Which, if I were traveling somewhere far away, exotic and new, that wouldn't be a problem. But I'm not. I'm going to Texas...again. Don't get me wrong, I love it there. But this time I'm going to bury my grandfather.

He passed away at home with his family on November 19th. I went to see him a couple of weeks before then and was able to say goodbye. He wasn't well, and even though he was doing much better by the time we left, I knew it was the last time I would see him.

What do you say to someone when you know its your last chance to say anything? You say only what is most important. I leaned down and hugged him while he was laying in bed and I told him I was so glad that I got to see him and how much I love him. He held onto my hand tightly for a long time. He looked at me very closely and I think we both knew we weren't saying goodbye for just a little while. We both knew it was the last time we'd see each other and we were both saying goodbye forever.

Now I'm leaving for his funeral. I can't imagine walking into their house and him not being there to greet me. I miss him terribly already.

No comments: