February 26, 2010

365 Project: Day 108

Recently, I discovered the place where my landlord stashes all the junk she doesn't need anymore. Our garage. I was poking around the property the other day, you know, just out of curiosity. I don't like doors that I haven't opened. I always wonder what is hiding on the other side. When I walked through the gate, this is what I discovered.
I don't understand why people feel the need to hang on to junk they don't need. I, fortunately, don't have this problem. When there are things in my life that are old, broken, don't fit anymore, or just taking up space because I don't use it: I get rid of it. There are very few things in my life that I find to be irreplaceable. Pictures, my cameras, my computer and printer, and a couple of small keepsakes. Those are the only things I own that I care about. With the exception of my computer and printer, it all fits into a small box. Everything else is expendable. 

So, why do people feel the need to hang on to old, rotten, broken wooden doors, TVs, rusted paint cans, small scraps of chicken wire? These things aren't even re-usable. So why not get rid of them? Why do people feel the need to hang on to every little thing, even if its broken?

No comments: