January 13, 2009

What happened to the glamor?

When I see photos of women like these I feel so ashamed of myself.  It is amazing to me the amount of effort that women used to put in to their appearance.  Every day was an occasion to be beautiful and look your best.  I have trouble getting out of bed more than 10 minutes before I leave for work in the morning!  How could I possibly have time to pull off an up-do?


I ask myself: What happened to five o'clock cocktails with olives and rocks glasses? Lipstick and pantyhose? Fancy hats that went with matching dresses?  Dinner parties? Big band performances and swing dancing?  I don't know how to do The Fox Trot, The Charleston or The Jitterbug...should I know how to do that?

I'm not just disappointed in the ladies.  The fellas aren't doing their part either.  What happened to tuxedos, fedoras, smoking a pipe?  Now we're lucky if they wear pants that cover their underwear!

Sigh...so, I have resolved to put in a little extra effort.  Give myself more than 10 minutes to get it together in the morning.  I don't know that I'll be wearing any up-do's anytime soon, but, maybe I'll wear some lipstick.  My whole day goes better when I feel pretty and I think we all need a little glamor in our lives.


Quote for the day:
"Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin.  That, or a kick-ass red lipstick."
--Gwyneth Paltrow

No comments: